Friday, February 4, 2011

SSRJ #2: Oates


As I read this story for the second time it immediately became obvious to me that this was a story of a hidden romance between two females who loved poetry.  On the contrary, the first time I read this story I found myself questioning whether or not this was about a gay relationship.  I actually kept thinking a man would enter the story at some point.  The emotions I felt changed between the first reading and the second.  I felt confused and uncertain during the first reading.  During the second reading the emotion that was most prominent for me was a bit of nervousness for the two “girl-poets” as they followed Marilyn Monroe through the bookstore trying to remain un-noticed by her.  I connected with the romance part of the story as well.  I could feel the romantic tension that the protagonist was feeling toward her “girl-poet” friend.

The setting described in this work serves to intensify the plot and support the theme.  The author uses words and detailed descriptions of the atmosphere to give a setting that is conducive to romance and a peculiar evening of occurrences.  From the opening sentences she uses phrases that give both a romantic and a peculiar feel.  For example, “streetlights on Broadway glimmered with a strange sepia glow” and “we were two girl-poets drifting through the warehouse of treasures as through an enchanted forest”.  She goes on to mention the girls being “enchanted by books” and “enchanted by the Strand”.  The books themselves became part of a romantic scene by phrases like “Brooding above a tumble of books that quickened the pulse”.  All of this surely supports the entire theme of the story, romance. 

I read the story at least twice in it’s entirety and additional readings focusing on specific paragraphs and/or sentences.  I am still wondering what the significance of Marilyn Monroe as opposed to Lucille Ball is exactly.  I am guessing that it has to do with the fact that Marilyn Monroe was famous for her sex appeal and now she is in a used bookstore dressed like a man and barely recognizable.  Maybe this makes a stronger representation of the two girl-poets also dressed like men but being just regular people.  Maybe it serves to add hope for the girl-poets to someday become famous with their poetry.

3 comments:

  1. Unlike you, I never felt the sexual tension. I thought it was a great story without the last line. With the last line, it changed everything!

    I think you're right that it had to be someone like Marilyn Monroe, a sex-object in the sight of many, to make the storyline work.

    Marilyn's true intellect became hidden when she became a famous movie star. Now she needs to hide who she is so she can be free to do something as simple as shop in a bookstore.

    Just as Marilyn hides under a disguise, the girls must also hide their romantic relationship, it is afterall the 1950's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with Toni. I think that Marilyn Monroe is used because on her, men's clothing was very obviously a disguise. It kind of connected the girls in a way. Marilyn had to hide her identity just as the girls had to hide their sexuality. In a way it gave a sense that everyone, movie stars and college students included, has something to hide.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you to a certain extent, as far as to why the author used Marilyn Monroe as the subject for the narrator's conflict. I think that she was used because of her sex appeal, but also as a symbol for a woman who is viewed as a "dumb blonde" type by society. She is someone who was mostly known for her looks and ability to fall into that category.
    I think that this is contrary to what most actors really are, I have known many theater actors who are some of the best and most well-rounded and intelligent people.
    I think the idea that this woman, who was known for being a sex symbol and who played a particular genre, would be well read and educated (sorta like them) seems far fetched to these women. The author used Marilyn as a symbol to show that these outsiders could have something in common with her, and to show that society's ideas could be clouded.

    ReplyDelete